Shoe Material Recycling Programs
collects worn-out athletic shoes of any brand from a variety of sources, including end of life shoes collected through a variety of recycling programs, special events and at Nike or other stores, shoes that are returned to us from retailers due to a material flaw and even counterfeit shoes.
Nike Inc. also recycles much of our scrap material left over from its footwear manufacturing plants and together the shoes and shoe materials are ground up and purified to become a material call Nike Grind
– Nike Grind Rubber, Nike Grind Foam and Nike Grind Upper.
Nike Grind is then used in the creation of sports surfacing product ranges – basketball and tennis courts, running tracks, soccer fields, fitness flooring and playground safety surfacing. Below are some examples on how far a pair of recycled shoes can go:
- Outdoor basketball court: 2,500 pairs
- Outdoor tennis court:2,500 pairs
- Full Field or soccer pitch: 50,000 - 75,000 pairs
- Mini soccer field: 10,000-20,000 pairs
- Running track: 75,000 pairs*
- Playground: 2,500 pairs
- Indoor basketball court: 2,500 pairs
- Indoor synthetic basketball court: 2,500 pairs